Friday, September 10, 2010

Backpack, Backpack





Okay, perhaps it was not kind of me to get that heinous refrain from Dora the Explorer roaming around in your head. One of the things I looked forward to the most each new school year was shopping for new school supplies with my parents, especially for that cool new backpack.

I designed this backpack to be life sized (to fit my 5 year old). In order to do so I had to work with a parent sheet of paper. These are jumbo sheets 26x40 inches that can sometimes be found in art stores, but most certainly can be ordered directly from paper mills. These added inches allow you to do so much more with 3dimensional art.

I used a variety of QuicKutz dies to do the flourishes, and the Stampin' UP! Flutterby embosslit for the butterflies. I also embossed the side pockets by hand using a Stampin'UP! textured plate and the border is a Stampin' UP! punch. The tiny dots are the negative circles punched out from the scalloped border. I think I counted over 500 used on this project. They, and the flourishes were glued on with Beacon Adhesive's Zip Dry and a toothpick. It took hours and hours to get those puppies on there! I wanted it to be extra special for a CHA booth though, and now I can gift it to one of the girls' teachers at the end of the year.

The front flap also opens and closes with the aid of a magnet and the rear back straps are also embellished with butterflies and scallops. I really loved this combination of colors and think I will try to do a layout with yellow, green and white in it soon.

Thanks for looking,

CarrieAnne

2 comments:

  1. Hehehehehe...I so have Dora's theme song in my head now! LOL! I loveeeeeeeeeeeee this!! Sooooooooooooo creative! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loaded up with things and nick nacs too; anything you might need I've got inside for you...LOL Very cute backpack, backpack, backpack, backpack!!

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback and appreciate the time it takes you to leave it :)